If you are using Internet Explorer 6, you may not have the best Bebo experience. Please consider upgrading.
- Don't fuck with the Jesus
- Me, Myself, and I
- Remain perfectly still, only I may dance.
When Im at home I watch the tv or troll the web; when Im not at home(the waking hours) ... Im with Kirstin in Maynooth where we solve crimes with flashy graphics and poignant social commentary.
I'm an actual scientist. I just became a biochemist, which almost certainly sounds cooler than it is. I once was good at it, now Im fantastic. Im doing it right now, well not right this instant, but it follows me always, like car crash television.
Life is like an orange, it can be fun just to look at the bright colour, but the real fun is to be had if you take the time to peel that shit and eat it.
- Queens of the stone age, The smashing pumpkins, arcade fire, Jimmy eat world, interpol, bloc party, DFA1979, radiohead, the shins, headgear, beck, manic street preachers, the cure, nirvana, we are scientists, nine inch nails, idlewild, Jeff Buckley, the white stripes, Ben Folds, grandaddy, yeah yeah yeahs, the polyphonic spree, placebo, the pixies, oasis, green day, gomez, the futureheads, foo fighters, eagles of death metal, dresden dolls, bright eyes, Regina Spektor, iron&wine, battles, vampire weekend
- For proper cinema, then Schindler's List is the ultimate film; Spielberg does good work. ( Indiana Jones, Saving private Ryan, etc.) Fight club comes close 2nd in it's nihilistic self-destructive message, so I love it. Donnie Darko has to be on everybody whose seen its' list. I noticed that the film opens on a dark and stormy night, and finishes with him waking to find it all a dream(and back to normality), which either sucks, or is a subversion of form. I'll go with the latter. Other pretentious inclusions: Pi, primer, city of God, American History X, the life aquatic, 12 monkeys, se7en, trainspotting, fear&loathing in las Vegas, apocalypse now, the thin red line, when trumpets fade, sideways, I love Huckabees, Igby goes down, garden state, The royal Tenenbaums
- That would be man united thank you, with particular hatred and disappointment for the Chelsea plague attacking football. I'll watch any sport though, no matter how poor.
In my time I've 'done' hurling, football, rugby, cross-country running and I've successfully dropped out of them all.
- Scared Of
- Freakin' spiders. They've got 8 legs and eyes, are covered in hairs and shoot silk out their ass. Scary shit.
- Point Blanc, shortlisted for the 2002 children's book award.
- Nature Villains
- #1 The rapeseed. Stay tuned.
#2 The kumquat. Seedier than a watermelon, and not in a good way.
- Jon Stewart
- If con is the opposite of pro, then does that mean congress is the opposite of progress? Or did I just blow your mind?
close Video Box
Having AutoPlay on gives you the best media experience on Bebo. When you visit another user's profile, their Video Box will automatically start playing their current favorite video.
You can change your account settings at anytime here: account settings
I saw The Mist at the cinema last Monday, and I recommend you log out now and go catch it. It's one of the best written films I've seen in a long time, and certainly the best horror/suspense.
It's based on a Stephen King novella, adapted/directed by Frank Darabont (The Shawshank Redemption, another King story). But unlike numerous King adaptations which are seemingly littered with two-dimensional, clichéd characters, the mist's characters are all keenly observed and fully believable. The supporting character actor ensemble helps.
Certain similarities can be drawn to Cloverfield, another recent creature feature; such as a handheld-style, monstrous doom, urgency/tension-building, but whereas cloverfield fails on most of these, the mist is a triumph. The handheld style is not an in plot device, merely the utilisation of smaller cameras to get tighter into the claustrophobic store the characters inhabit.
The monsters feel more real, their motivation actually believable (the film requires only one suspension of disbelief regarding the plot which it executes in full competence). Most impressively, the tension is palpable, and not drawn from the monsters for the most part; in fact taking them out of the film would still leave a great show.
Where cloverfield was full of MTV bombast and the cast of The Hills, the Mist is entirely more mature and actually provokes thoughts, heavy among which are the religious overtones, competing with humanist elements; it almost feels like watching the renaissance of American society being birthed (or aborted, that's for you to decide), with the black death descended outside.
You won't see finer horror this decade, nor a more thoroughly engrossing film. As a testament, we were talking about this film the entire way home.
10/10 reasons to believe in cinema
0 Comments 256 weeks
06.00 you fly out aer lingus from Dublin. You haven't slept in 20 hours but still you feel fine, your hand luggage packed hastily a few hours before. You rise through the clouds listening to Sigur Ros, making you feel contentedly happy. 0830 their time, touchdown. Try to find the train, everythings in English, result. The trip is short and cheap and breeds anticipation. Arrival, disperse randomly. You find a coffee shop by chance. The assistant is Irish, this takes the edge off. You over do it, your heart beats faster than you can cope with, it's still early morning. You wander through the streets frequently consulting map. Every street is identical. You rely on hobos for directions. They're helpful. Arrive at hostel, it's hot. You go off wandering, come back with food; it's happy hour downstairs. You miss the remaining 3 opportunities to catch happy hour. You return to hotel room. It's still hot. Strip. Eat, drink, fail to sleep. Never sleep properly. See red light district. Walk around lots, repeatedly retracing your steps. Conclude you should have come here first. Change from hostel to hotel. You barely leave hotel, you can't. The hulk is on but bad. You still watch it taking nothing in. Its too long. You haven't eaten, pass out. Next day is the same but the tv is different. You wtch scary movie 3 for the second time in 48 hours. Then Ali G. Then Johnathan Ross. Terry Wogan looks out of it. Its just you. Return to hostel, still hot. You stay increasingly sober, despite your best efforts. You experience nothing new for the remainder of the trip. You plan to return.
0 Comments 351 weeks
Brilliant comic strip. There's a couple in my pictures. Check it out, and if you don't like it, you don't get it.
0 Comments 366 weeks