If you are using Internet Explorer 6, you may not have the best Bebo experience. Please consider upgrading.
- Me, Myself, and I
- Pink Floyd are an English progressive rock band noted for philosophical lyrics, classical rock compositions, sonic experimentation, innovative cover art, and elaborate live shows. One of rock music's most successful and influential acts, the group have sold over 200 million albums worldwide,and an estimated 73.5 million albums in the United States alone.
Achieving worldwide success with 1973's The Dark Side of the Moon, 1975's Wish You Were Here, 1977's Animals, and 1979's The Wall, among the best-selling, most critically acclaimed, and enduringly popular albums in rock music history.
close Band Members
close Video Box
Having AutoPlay on gives you the best media experience on Bebo. When you visit another user's profile, their Video Box will automatically start playing their current favorite video.
You can change your account settings at anytime here: account settings
R.I.P Syd Barrett
Please share your thoughts and feelings.
pink floyd x
19 Comments 280 weeks
Syd Barrett dies aged 60
Culture Vulture: Share your memories here
Tuesday July 11, 2006
Syd Barrett with the original Pink Floyd lineup. Photograph: Dezo Hoffmann/Re
Syd Barrett, the former lead singer of Pink Floyd and one of the key figures of the 60s, has died at the Cambridgeshire home to which he retreated as a recluse more than 30 years ago.
The Guardian has learned that the singer, 60, who suffered from a psychedelic-drug induced breakdown while at the peak of his career, died last Friday from cancer.
His brother Alan confirmed his death, saying only: "He died peacefully at home. There will be a private family funeral in the next few days."
Born Roger Keith Barrett in Cambridge in 1946, he acquired the nickname Syd aged 15. He left Pink Floyd in 1968, just as the band was about to achieve worldwide recognition, and lived in the basement of his mother Winfred's semi-detached house, where he boarded up the windows to keep out the eyes of both the press and fans. He recorded two solo albums.
Pink Floyd's Shine on You Crazy Diamond, from the 1975 album Wish You Were Here, was said by many to be a salute to him. Barrett's use of drugs, particularly LSD, in the 60s, was well-documented and he was often described as the original acid casualty.
A statement issued on behalf of Pink Floyd said: "The band are naturally very upset and sad to learn of Syd Barrett's death. Syd was the guiding light of the early band line-up and leaves a legacy which continues to inspire."
Dave Gilmour, the Pink Floyd guitarist drafted in to the band during a period in which Barrett was behaving erratically, said in an interview earlier this year that he thought that Barrett's breakdown would have happened anyway.
He said: "It was a deep-rooted thing. But I'll say the psychedelic experience might well have acted as a catalyst. Still, I just don't think he could deal with the vision of success and all the things that went with it."
16 Comments 313 weeks
close Music Albums
- A Momentary Lapse of Reason (10) tracks
- A Saucerful Of Secrets (7) tracks
- Animals (5) tracks
- Atom Heart Mother (5) tracks
- Dark side of the moon (10) tracks
- Delicate Sound of Thunder (15) tracks
- Echoes: The Best Of Pink Floyd (20) tracks
- Meddle (6) tracks
- More (13) tracks
- Obscured By Clouds (9) tracks
- Piper At The Gates Of Dawn (11) tracks
- Pulse (20) tracks
- Relics (11) tracks
- The division bell (11) tracks
- The final cut (13) tracks
- The wall (25) tracks
- Ummagumma (16) tracks
- Wish you were here (5) tracks